Installation of Nature Bytes Video Program - Exhibit Version ~
The Exhibit Version of the program is exactly the same as the Computer Version except for two pages that have been changed to make external links inoperable. This prevents the computer attempting to access the internet which could disrupt operation. Installation of the program on your hard drive is also exactly the same.
DISK1 contains the program and approximately half the movies for Nature Bytes. They are divided alphabetically in folders titled bytes_A-B, bytes_C, bytes_D-F, etc. DISK2 contains the second half of the alphabetically sorted movies.
- First create a new folder on the desktop or in your documents folder, name it something like Nature Bytes.
- Next, insert DISK1 into your DVD drive.
- Do not transfer the entire disk contents onto your computer. Open the folder on the DVD DISK1. There are 2 folders inside, one is labeled generated items and the other is www.
- Copy the 2 folders, generated items and www, into the new folder you have created on your computer.
- Remove DISK1 from your DVD drive and insert DISK2.
- Open the www folder on your computer.
- Open the folder on the DVD DISK2. There are 4 bytes folders showing.
- Copy the 4 bytes folders into the www folder you have open on your computer.
- When copying is complete you will have all of the alphabetical bytes folders visible inside the www folder on your computer.
- Remove DISK2 from your DVD drive.
Installation of the Nature Bytes Video program is complete!
Additional Instructions for Setting Up Nature Bytes Video - Exhibit Version
- Download and install the Firefox browser from the internet:
- Set the Firefox browser as your default browser.
- Download and install the Adobe Flash plug-in:
- Download the firefox add-on which enables operation in Kiosk mode:
- Install the kiosk add-on. Start Firefox, use the drop-down menu under file in the Firefox menu at the top, choose open file, find and select the add-on file on your computer. Firefox will add the kiosk-mode file to its add-ons.
- Keep the computer and keyboard in a closed or locked cabinet. Have the monitor, mouse, and speakers or headphones accessible to visitors. Without the keyboard available, the public does not have access to anything on the computer other than the Nature Bytes Program running on the browser in kiosk-mode.
Installation is complete!
Click on the index file inside the www folder to run the Nature Bytes program.
Firefox will open the program automatically. Make sure your browser has the flash plug-in installed. Your browser program may give you a message about blocking active content or scripts on your computer. Click ok to run active content or scripts. This is necessary to activate the menu buttons and load the flash videos.